The Assistant Manager is a property management position that is responsible for the overall performance of assigned community or communities. Areas of responsibility includes; a) financial management b) appearance and resident relations c) day-to-day operations of the community d) management office and assigned staff. The Community Manager may be responsible for several affordable regulated programs. Regulatory compliance and the ability to understand each program is important. Ensures high performance and customer service delivery consistent with the agency's mission, vision, and values.
Examples of Duties:
The position duties and responsibilities listed below describe the general nature and scope of work. Other responsibilities, duties, and skills may be required and assigned, as needed. These essential functions require presence in the workplace on a regular basis and regular attendance must be maintained.
- Inspects property on a daily basis to ensure all aspects of the property and curb appeal meet standards.
- Renders the community curb appeal in a condition that is enticing to client traffic and exceeds the neighborhood market.
- Inspects aged and/or selected vacancies on a weekly basis to monitor upkeep and ensure make-ready standards are being met.
- Monitors occupancy and advises Supervisor of any problems areas.
- Oversees and manages the details of apartment turnarounds and contractor work.
- Ensures compliance with existing policy for apartment turnaround times.
- Maintains collections above the minimum standards established by the housing authority or in accordance with the guidance provided by the Housing Director.
- Maintains and updates the Status Board, Ready Board, and On Notice Board, if applicable.
- Reviews all requests for transfer, walks units as required; and ensures a resident history review is completed by management prior to transfer being approved.
- Coordinates, prepares and submits marketing reports as requested by the supervisor; including but not limited to the following: weekly traffic reports, weekly occupancy reports, captured percentages and weekly management reports.
- Maintains approved budgets and requests the appropriate approval for all needed budget deviations.
- Inspects apartment upon move out; determine charges (if any) to resident.
- Consults with supervisor on any repairs or replacements over $500.
- Prepares and submits budget variance reports, executive summaries, budget forecasts and month-end accounting and rent reports.
- Trains, manages, and counsels on-site staff. Consults with supervisor regarding special circumstances or issues that should be elevated to a higher authority.
- Analyzes monthly performance and budgeted projections, discusses strategies with assigned supervisor and communicates to others as needed or requested.
- Communicates through weekly staff meetings the strategy changes for the coming week, short and long term goals for community operation.
- Establish schedules of on-site leasing personnel, service technicians, groundskeepers.
- Ensures proper coverage during office hours. Coordinates and approves PTO requests.
- Conducts annual employee performance reviews; makes recommendations for assigned staff's merit increases, promotions and performance evaluations as necessary.
- Performs other related duties as assigned.
This position requires the incumbent to exhibit the following behavioral skills:
Leadership: Provides direction to people and/or projects by clearly and effectively setting course of action for the department, staff, and tasks; manages the planning, execution, and achievement of department goals by providing regular communication to staff and stakeholders.
Commitment: Sets high standards of performance; pursues aggressive goals and works hard/smart to achieve them; strives for results and success; conveys a sense of urgency and brings issues to closure; and persists despite obstacles and opposition.
Customer Service: Meets/exceeds the expectations and requirements of internal and external customers; identifies, understands monitors and measures the needs of both internal and external customers; talks and acts with customers in mind; and recognizes working colleagues as customers.
Effective Communication: Ensures important information is passed to those who need to know; conveys necessary information clearly and effectively orally or in writing; demonstrates attention to, and conveys understanding of, the comments and questions of others; and listens effectively. Demonstrates the ability to develop audiovisual presentations to both internal and external audiences.
Responsiveness and Accountability: Demonstrates a high level of conscientiousness; holds oneself personally responsible for one's own work; and does fair share of work.
Teamwork: Balances team and individual responsibilities; exhibits objectivity and openness to others' views; gives and welcomes feedback; contributes to building a positive team spirit; puts success of team above own interests; supports everyone's efforts to succeed; attends, supports, and participates in all team building exercises and events.
Continuous Improvement and Innovation: Seeks the continuous improvement of technological business processes and services; explores out-of-the-box methods and is open to experimenting with new ideas; uses data, knowledge, and strategic decision-making to generate new and innovative solutions.
Education and Experience:
- Bachelor's Degree in Business Administration, Social Services, or related field. Experience in lieu of a degree will be considered on an individual basis.
- One (1) year of experience in property management or related field.
- One (1) year of property management marketing experience required.
- Must be flexible and available to work a flexible schedule which may include weekends, depending on the needs of the community and upon the directive of the Supervisor.
- Successful completion of a criminal history background check, education, and work history verification, and drug screening test.
- Certified Apartment Manager.
- Certified Occupancy Specialist (COS).
- Tax Credit Specialist (TCS) .
- Four (4) years of property management.
- Onesite and/or Yardi property management software experience.
- Experience with Google Drive, Gmail, Docs, Sheets, and Slides.
License and Certifications:
- Class 'C' driver's license at the time of placement and proper insurance coverage.
- Must complete certification as a Certified Occupancy Specialist and/or Tax Credit Specialist within first year of employment.
- Must have the ability to earn certifications as required by assigned tasks (i.e. Certified Apartment Manager, etc.)
To perform this job successfully, the employee should have:
- Understands the Mission, Vision, and Values of the Company, and directs work within these guiding principles and operational framework.
- Knowledge of office practices, procedures and customer service principles.
- Knowledge and ability to perform proficient mathematical functions.
- Ability to use interpersonal skills using tact, diplomacy, patience and courtesy.
- Ability to maintain filing and record keeping system, including document imaging.
- Ability to perform basic clerical skills.
- Ability to communicate verbally and in writing.
- Ability to operate office machines and equipment such as PC, copiers, and printers.
- Ability to work cooperatively, harmoniously and respectfully with co-workers, supervisors, public and customers.
- Ability to perform a variety of clerical duties involving typing, filing and maintaining records or reports in support of a special program or department function.
- Ability to handle multiple tasks and priorities with interruptions.
- Ability to deal with a variety of people with diverse backgrounds.
- Ability to effectively plan and organize workload.
- Ability to perform data entry efficiently and accurately.
- Ability to meet schedules and time lines.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
To perform this job successfully, the employee is frequently required to remain in a stationary position. Daily movements include sitting; standing; operating computers and other office equipment; moving about the office; and attending onsite and offsite meetings. The employee must be able to communicate via email and verbally via telephone. The employee must occasionally transport up to 25 pounds.
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Office environment.
- Driving a vehicle to conduct work.
- Work Monday through Friday; some Saturday's maybe required, hours to be determined.
- Hearing and speaking to exchange information in person or on the telephone.
- Seeing to read a variety of materials and to drive.
- Dexterity of hands and fingers to operate a computer keyboard.
- Sitting for extended periods of time.
- Operate mailing and other equipment.
- Contact with dissatisfied or abusive individuals.
- The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate.
- High level of interaction with external/internal clients.
- May be required to work at different properties or sites for interim periods to support business needs.
- Subject to environmental elements when conducting visits to various sites or participating in outside events.
In compliance with the Americans with Disabilities Act, Franklin Apartment Management will make reasonable accommodation to the known disability of a qualified applicant or employee to enable people with disabilities to enjoy equal employment opportunities, if it would not impose an "undue hardship" on the operation of the employer's business.
As a public agency, Franklin Apartment Management is committed to maintaining the highest of ethical standards. Applicants selected for employment are expected to perform work responsibilities with the highest degree of integrity, professionalism and honesty, to merit the respect of our co-workers, clients, partners, vendors and the general public. Applicants selected for employment are also expected to serve the public with dedication, concern, courtesy and responsiveness.
The above information on this description has been designed to indicate the general nature and level of work performed by employees within this classification. It is not designed to contain or be interpreted as a comprehensive inventory of all duties, responsibilities and qualifications required of employees assigned to this job.
This position specification is not an employment agreement or contract. Management has the exclusive right to alter this position specification at any time, without notice.