Director Of Resident Care
This position will work a set schedule Friday-Monday.
Supervise delivery of resident care provided by licensed and non-licensed nursing personnel while maintaining, or exceeding, company standards. Provides direct supervision of resident care staff including includes monitoring job performance, conducting employee performance evaluations, coaching and counseling employees and providing training and education.
PRIMARY DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Ensures delivery of nursing services to residents according to professionally recognized using practices.
- Monitors nursing care for compliance with federal, state, and local regulations and company care performance standards.
- Ensures that all employee hours on time cards and weekly hours report.
- Completes nursing schedules for proper coverage to meet resident needs and according to budget guidelines.
- Assigns weekly blood pressure and weights to rotating shifts.
- Monitors staff in administration of medication, to include frequent audits of medication sheets.
- Assists the Medication Technicians in medication management, including administration of medications to residents, ordering medication from pharmacy and maintaining records as dictated in policies and procedures manual.
- Ensures that medications are properly stored, medication carts / cupboards are cleaned and medication room is organized according to standards.
- Observes residents health status. Takes actions to address concerns within scope of practice and reports all significant changes, reactions to medications and treatment or significant incidents to nurse and/or attending physician immediately.
- Regularly reviews capabilities or resident who self-administers medications.
- Conducts pre-admission screening of prospective new residents when assigned by supervisor and updates ever six (6) months or as needed. Ensures that all required documentation, including service plans and nursing assessments is completed.
- Performs ongoing assessments of resident physical and psycho-social needs and coordinates with nurse to assure quality proactive care.
- Communicates to families regarding resident’s personal needs and achievements. Reminds families or need for scheduled physician, dental, or eye care appointments.
- Assists in organizing and developing service plan reviews as required, with appropriate resident care team members and resident families.
- Explains procedures and treatments to residents to gain cooperation and understanding.
- Observes residents, records significant reactions, and notifies resident director, physician, and pharmacist of resident’s condition and reaction to drugs, treatments, and significant incidents.
- Responds promptly to all emergency calls from residents, including residents residing in independent section of residence.
- Performs daily and monthly safety and infection control checks of the home and grounds, assisting the resident director for resident health and safety purposes.
- Coordinates monthly staff schedules, arranges replacement staffing when necessary and maintains clear records of all changes, requests and irregularities.
- Ensures that in-house ancillary medical services such as podiatrist, doctor visits, psych visits, labs, x-ray, ambulance, etc. are scheduled and followed through.
- Participates in the maintenance of resident records including review of documentation performed by resident assistants, monthly MAR reviews, setting up new resident and thinning records appropriately.
- Participates in department quality improvement activities, to include completion of quality assurance surveys as assigned by residence director.
- Shares on-call duties as required.
- Participates in community functions including family socials and open houses.
- Communicates with community professionals.
- Ensure appropriate handling of on-the-job injuries as reported by employees.
- Attends required community meetings and completes required reports in a neat and timely manner.
- Encourages teamwork and promotes company philosophy.
- Attends required community meetings.
- Is prompt and able to perform the required duties of the position on a regular, predictable basis.
- Becomes familiar and understands the steps for fire evacuation.
- All employees are responsible for maintaining a safe and secure environment for all community residents.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES:
- Able to read, write, speak and understand the English language. Bi-lingual a plus.
- Able to communicate effectively with all levels of management, employees, residents, family members, and outside contacts.
- Able to calculate figures and amounts such as discounts, interest, commissions, proportions, percentages, etc. Able to manage revenue and expense budget.
- Basic CPR/first aid training.
- Knowledge of current Federal and State laws pertaining to assisted living and/or memory care communities.
- Able to make independent decisions.
- Must possess a passion to work with and around senior citizens.
- Current nursing (RN/LPN/LVN) licensure issued by appropriate state licensing agency.
- Associates Degree in health care related field.
- Current s ECC and/or CORE Training certification as required.
WORK EXPERIENCE REQUIREMENTS:
- Strong leadership skills and experience in supervising and management. (Some experience with scheduling is preferred.)
- One to two years related experience and/or training or equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Experience using Microsoft Office and Outlook software. Basic typing skills required.
The following physical demands are representative of those that must be met to successfully perform the essential functions of this position:
- Stand and/or walk up to six (6) hours a day and sit up to two (2) hours a day.
- Occasionally support up to 50 pounds.
- Occasionally kneel, bend and reach.
- Vision abilities include close vision, depth perception and ability to adjust focus.
- Subject to infectious diseases, substances, odors, etc. throughout the work day.
We are managed by The Franklin Companies based in San Antonio, voted one of the city’s best places to work in 2014 and 2016. To learn more about our company go to